Monday, March 28, 2011

Who do you OWE?

Pin It Now!
What do you think about when you hear the phrase 'unconditional love?' Do you think about the relationships you have made, the family who you would do anything for, or the things that you simply can't live without? Does the phrase... 'I owe you' or 'you owe me' ever come to mind?


"Even after all this time the sun never says to the earth, 'you owe me.' Look what happens with a love like that, it lights the whole sky."

I absolutely love this quote- there is something so beautiful about it, something so selfless, and something so true. All too often, I convince myself that if I do nice things for others, then they 'owe' me something. I should get some kind of reward, some kind of acknowledgement, and some kind of recognition. 

Life doesn't always work that way. It has been and will always be hard to do nice things for others or to spend time on something that you receive no recognition for. As human beings, we are always looking for a pat on the back- a comment on a job well done. But as time goes on, I am beginning to learn that doing nice things for others, or even just thinking about others, is so much more beautiful when you are not seeking some sort of credit. It is the quality of selflessness that makes acts of kindness so incredible.

So today I encourage you to try to do something nice for someone without expecting something in return. Know that God is smiling down on you even when no one else seems to notice- he knows and appreciates everything. Instead of saying 'you owe me' try saying... no problem, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

See where that takes you.

"Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of other."
Philippians 2:4

Peace.Love.Inspiration.
Meaghan

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...