Monday, March 12, 2012

Making Connections! Trista Sutter, an Alpha Chi Omega Alumna

Pin It Now!
Social Information Network
One of the best parts about being involved in a sorority is having an instant connection with what others might consider distant strangers. In the world of Alpha Chi Omega, we call our fellow members and Real, Strong Women... sisters. Did it surprise me that one small tweet led to a personal interview with a STAR of one of my all-time favorite TV shows? Of course. Was I surprised that she was so willing to lend a hand when a sister asked? Of course not. Trista Sutter was the first Bachelorette, and has also appeared on ABC's Dancing with the Stars and NBC's Fear Factor. She currently lives with her husband and two kids in Colorado and is commonly featured in the media as a 'woman with a big heart.'

Why did you choose to go through sorority recruitment in college? 

My mom was in a sorority during her college years and I had heard all about the friendships she'd made and kept because of that experience since I was little. I honestly didn't ever consider not rushing. I'm a girl's girl and have always thought of my friends as family. I was excited to extend my family circle through a sorority!

Do you have a favorite Alpha Chi Omega memory? 

I have MANY but one of my annual favorites was rush. I loved being part of the performances (as a dancer) and the traditions that our chapter had. It was always a special time (and lots of fun!). 

What are the most important lessons you learned in college that you have carried with you to motherhood and a career?  

I truly believe you can get a good education anywhere. It's all about your focus and drive and determination to succeed.  That…and I will never let my children even come close to doing the 19 shots I did on my 21st birthday!!

How do you balance a successful career, family life, and fame?  

I think it really comes down to setting priorities. My children and my husband are my priority.  Next down the list are the jobs I hold and contractual obligations I have to companies I work with, along with maintaining my friendships, being a daughter my parents can be proud of, and then of course, taking time for myself. In addition, I've learned the art of gracefully saying "no" if I can't take on anything more, and taking advantage of help if and when it is ever offered.  I certainly can't do it all…I'm only human.  :)

If you could speak to a room full of bright, motivated college women, what advice would you give them? 

Believe in yourself.  You are your own best friend and worst enemy.  Just don't let your enemy always win out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...