Monday, January 31, 2011

The Simple Life.

Pin It Now! All too often, our expectations in life lead us to believe that we need things to make us happy, we need stuff to occupy our time,  and we need success in order to define what we have accomplished. But what does all this stuff really do in the long run? It fills our lives with unnecessary baggage, stuff we need to carry around with us... just to have in our possession. 

Don't get me wrong... I LOVE all my stuff. I am your typical teenage girl, obsessed with the newest technology, my makeup collection, my stack of romantic comedies,  and my pile of books that I have read from cover to cover. I know I appreciate these material possessions as an important part of my life (and I do realize how blessed I truly am for having them all) but sometimes I wonder what life would be like without all the stuff. Don't you?

Sometimes, we even convince ourselves that we wouldn't be anything without our stuff. That's when things start to get scary... Can we really not live without our cell phones or laptop computers? I agree that these material possessions can truly enhance our quality of communication, our connection to the people around us, and our knowledge of our world, but is there a way to live with just what we need? Or is that simply asking too much?

After moving all my stuff to a new dorm, I realized how much stuff I brought with me to school... I kept asking myself, "How/why would I EVER need this much STUFF???" I was even tempted to throw some of it away, just because it seemed like too much work to move it all. I began asking myself... is there a way to live more simply? Would it help me truly appreciate all that I am blessed with.

I challenge you to evaluate how much you value your stuff? Is it devaluing more important things in your life? In the end, it isn't our phones that make us happy, it's the people on the other end.

"Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you?"
1 Corinthians 3:16

Peace.Love.Inspiration.
Meaghan

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...