Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Day 8- Scary Facebook Stats

Pin It Now! Are you up to date with my 31 Day Challenge- check my progress here!

 

There is no question that we are a Facebook-obsessed society.
I admit it—I'm a huge culprit. I am constantly online, checking my profile, flipping through pictures, commenting on posts and communicating through my personalized virtual network.
So today I chose to-
9. Give up Facebook for an entire day.

Let me tell you a secret. I check Facebook on my smartphone in the morning before I even leave my bed. I'm part of the statistic. I have this constant need to be plugged in all the time, and I get anxious or feel left out if I'm not up-to-date.
It honestly makes me ashamed sometimes to think about checking my notifications during a family meal, or chatting through a boring lecture. 

Why are so many of us obsessed with being online 24/7? Is it because we fear getting left behind?

I'm not going to lie. Staying off Facebook for the entire day was extremely challenging. There were so many times I was tempted to pull it up on my phone between classes or log on as I was checking my email. But I will tell you one thing- it actually made me feel a little less stressed. Without feeling the constant need to be online, I was more productive, focused on other things I needed to accomplish, and had more time to spend on myself.
I started to appreciate the unplugged small things in life that I routinely take advantage of. I started to smile a little more... I started to focus on other people instead of spending time in my own personal bubble.

Am I excited to log back on at midnight? Maybe a little bit. Am I glad that I gave it up today? Absolutely. What did I learn?

Everything in moderation.

"But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
Isaiah 40:31
 
Peace.Love.Inspiration.
Meaghan

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Those stats are insane. I'm not a crazy facebook addict like some people I know, but I definitely browse when I'm bored/procrastinating!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...